What is this about?
The NSW Government is progressing reforms to strengthen and simplify the building and certification system in NSW by replacing the Building Professionals Act 2005 (BP Act) to overhaul certifier regulation.
The Building and Development Certifiers Bill 2018 seeks to strengthen the certification system in NSW. It aims to clarify certifier roles and responsibilities, improve independence of certifiers, tighten licensee probity requirements and improve licensing administration, complaint handling and disciplinary measures.
What has happened so far?
In late 2014, former Assistant Minister for Planning, the Hon. Rob Stokes MP, appointed former Treasury Secretary Michael Lambert to conduct a broad review of certification and building regulation in NSW.
The response committed to a range of reforms, including overhauling the BP Act.
What are the proposed changes?
The Building and Development Certifiers Bill 2018 will strengthen the regulation of certifying authorities by:
- clarifying certifiers’ roles and responsibilities
- improving the independence of certifiers
- improving complaint handling and disciplinary procedures
- facilitating better regulatory coordination by formally integrating the Building Professionals Board and Secretariat into the Department of Finance, Services and Innovation
- enabling professional associations to be approved by the Government as accreditation authorities
- streamlining, modernising and updating the language and structure of the BP Act.
View the submissions
Public consultation closed on 4 September 2018 on the:
- Building and Development Certifiers Bill 2018
- Guide to the Building and Development Certifiers Bill 2018
All submissions have been made publicly available and you can view submissions here.
Fair Trading is reviewing all of the submissions received, which may result in amendments to the Bill and further targeted consultation.
Everyone who comments will be notified when the Bill is finalised (and published on the Fair Trading website). Copies will also be emailed directly to commenters.